Wine and picnics – do they mix? Many will tell you no because the wine would probably be served lukewarm; however, there are wines that taste good when serve this way. In addition, the wines must taste good with picnic food such as hamburgers, hot dogs, and sandwiches. Unbelievably, there are more wines that you think that will suffice in a time like this.
Oh, and don’t think that you have to serve your wine lukewarm as you can always chill your wine before serving – that’s what a cooler is for, right?!
A crisp Sauvignon Blanc and other relevant wines would be a great choice to be served with most picnic food. A crisp and fruity Pinot Blanc as well as a Chenin Blanc would be among my favorites as well to really bring out the taste of the food.
Red Wines for Your Picnic
More than likely if you bring along heavy wines then they are probably going to completely overpower your food so you want to try a lighter red wine that has a little less alcohol within it. A few wines of my choice would be Beaujolais as well as Pinot Noir.
A Few Wine Pairings for Your Summer Picnic
- If you are having coleslaw, try pairing it with a dry red wine such as Syrah/Shiraz.
- Having blue cheese? Try a Cabernet Sauvignon or Zinfandel.
- Having a plain hamburger? Pair that strong red meat with a strong red wine such as Canaletto Primitivo.
- If you are having hot dogs, try pairing it with a sweet, fruity, and versatile Riesling, especially if you have it loaded with all the goodies.
- If you are having barbeque at the picnic then the best type of wine to serve with the BBQ would probably be a hearty Zinfandel, Chenin Blanc or Shiraz.
- Mmmm…fried chicken. But, what wine? Try a full flavored white wine with low acidity such as a Semillion or Sauvignon Blanc.
With the above information, you should be ready to start planning your picnic food and wine list. Consider what everyone at your picnic likes but also consider the best wine with the food you are serving. Above all, make sure you are happy with your choice and if all else fails, taste it beforehand to ensure that it is the right pairing!